The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) of 2004 (Public Law 108-446) authorizes State activities to Local Education Agencies, accessed through a referral to CIRCUIT. These include direct and supportive service activities, to improve results for children with disabilities, ages 3 to 21, by ensuring a free, appropriate public education (FAPE), in the least restrictive environment (LRE). For this purpose, State Special Education Consultants are available to assist with the identification and interventions needed for students with sensory, intellectual and multiple disabilities, disruptive and/or self-injurious behavior, autism spectrum disorders, or brain injuries.
CIRCUIT Services can be requested by parents, guardians, or district school administrators (i.e., special education supervisors, principals, and superintendents).
- Submitted service requests will automatically generate a confirmation that the request has been received.
- Service requests warranting the involvement of State Consultant resources will generate a service referral to the appropriate CIRCUIT group. These groups include: Behavior Support Specialists, Consultant for Students with Brain Injury, Easterseals Outreach, Technology and Curriculum Access Center (TCC), Educational Audiology/Speech Pathology Resource Services (EARS), Educational Services for the Visually Impaired (ESVI) and Transition Services.
- Additional information may be required before a visit is scheduled or recommendations are made.
- Services from Behavior Support Specialists require Intake Form, History and Cumulative Review, BSS Commitment for Success Agreement, Notification of BSS Involvement, relevant portions of an IEP, current evaluations, the FBA/Behavior Intervention Plan (if applicable) and any behavioral data. SEE BSS website for information on how to define behavior and for sample data sheets.
- Services from an ESVI Vision Consultant require the most recent eye medical evaluation from an optometrist or ophthalmologist.
- Services from Easterseals Outreach require the most recent IEP, and evaluations (OT, PT, SLP and/or Psycho-educational)
- Other State Special Education Consultants may also have requirements that are determined on a case by case basis.