NCSC Professional Development Materials
NCSC’s long-term goal is to ensure that students with significant cognitive disabilities achieve increasingly higher academic outcomes and leave high school ready for post-secondary options. A well-designed summative assessment alone is insufficient to achieve that goal. Thus, NCSC is developing a full system intended to support educators, which includes formative assessment tools and strategies, professional development on appropriate interim uses of data for progress monitoring, and management systems to ease the burdens of administration and documentation.
The NCSC Communication Tool Kit has received approval for 3 hours of Continuing Education Credit (CEUs) from the American Hearing and Speech Association (ASHA). The course is posted and is available free of charge on the NCSC Wiki. Participants will receive a certificate upon completion of the course and the post quiz. ASHA members will be asked for their ASHA number. Non-ASHA participants will also receive a certificate; however, it is up to their administrative agency to approve use of the course outside of ASHA. The course will be available for ASHA credit through December of 2018.
- To navigate there go to NCSC Wiki main page
- Click on Communication Tool Kit
- Sign in on the Terms and Conditions Page
- Click on the link Communication Tool Kit Registration
- The link requires email verification and message from Patti Singleton
- Click on the link in the email message and it will take you to the course
- Invitation accepted! Welcome to NCSC Communication Toolkit!
- Webinar Study Guide
- Webinar (Password: NCSC2013Web2)
- Embedding Prerequisite Skills into Instruction on the CCSS
- Webinar (Password: Y2CCSS2)
The resources below are the introductory professional development pieces developed by NCSC to prepare educators to teach the Common Core State Standards to students with significant cognitive disabilities. These professional development webinars and accompanying materials complement the resources available on the NCSC Wiki.
The NCSC webinars and accompanying resources were designed to be completed in the order in which they are arranged below.